Mone, G. (2015). The New Smart Cities. Commun. ACM, 58(7), 20—21. http://doi.org/10.1145/2771297
SummaryThis article discusses big data applications for smart cities such as sensor boxes for measuring air quality, pedestrian and traffic flows. Applications of these technologies include:
- better decision making for city planners
- information services which provide the population with information on the traffic flow and air quality
- intelligent street lamps that adjust their brightness to the current traffic
- motivating their population to participate in these data gathering programs via their smart phones and
- publishing the collected data on open data portals to foster innovations that draw upon these data.